Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Clintons: Bill Loses His Ghetto Pass & Hillary Proves She’s Doesn’t Care What’s Best for the Nation


 

During the 1990s, Bill Clinton was given an honor that few people outside of the hood ever get—a ghetto pass. The hood is a place that respects its own, and it's extremely hard for those outside of the hood to build up the rapport to come, go, and associate as you please. I mean there are numerous established and respectable African Americans who don't have a ghetto pass and will never be given one—namely Bill Cosby and Oprah Winfrey. As difficult as it is to obtain a ghetto pass, good ole Bill got one and then went and screwed it up by playing southern politics and making ridiculous comments in an effort to incite an southern race riot at the polls.


 

I am a diehard Obama supporter—no doubt, but I have always had the upmost respect for the Clintons. I embraced Bill and accepted him as "the first black President" not because he played with weed (because you know he didn't inhale) and cheated on his wife. I loved Bill because he was the only candidate I'd ever seen actively embrace the African-American community. I watched him blow the hell out of the sax on Arsenio Hall while wearing his shades and listened as he spoke from the pulpits of black churches throughout the country. I even watched Will Smith rap at his inauguration on the Disney Channel. Bill Clinton was my President, so I defended him went the right-wing attack dogs started the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal. I mean that was between him and Hillary, and America had absolutely no business in their bedroom. And when he came to my church for the funeral of Coretta Scott King and paraded Hills on stage in preparation for her presidential run, I, along with the rest of the congregation, stood and cheered with pride and admiration.


 

I have held Bill Clinton down for the past 18 years, so it pains me to lose so much respect for him. I know longer view him as the admirable President of this great nation. Instead, I see him as a desperate husband trying to extend his legacy through his wife, even if he has to taint and destroy his legacy to ensure she gets her shot at the presidency. I see him as an angry campaigner who really can't handle the heat and often blows his fuse by turning red as he chastises reporters while waving his finger in their faces. I see him as a frustrated politician willing to throw out the race card and then hide his hands like he never touched it—all while remarking that "Hillary can't win here because 50% of the voters are black" and "Jessie Jackson won South Carolina in 84 and 88" as if the black vote can be so easily dismissed or black voters are dumb followers who vote by race and nothing else. Why didn't you bring up the fact that Al Sharpton didn't win South Carolina in '04, Mr. President? Or that Jessie Jackson won South Carolina when the state held caucuses and not primaries. Or the fact that he blew Hillary out the water in Iowa a state where blacks make up around 3% of the population. I guess that would've thrown a monkey wrench in his theory, huh?


 

As my republican friend and I discussed how many times good ole Bill had put his foot in his mouth over the past 2 weeks, she laughed and said, "I told you, Kia. Bill Clinton is the worst kind of white man—the kind who smiles and is happy with black folks as long as they do what they're told, but once they decide to think independently he wants to public chastise and dismiss them."


 

I sat silently. For the first time in 8 years of political discussions, I sat quietly with nothing to say. Bill Clinton had just proven himself to be that kind of white man. I guess Massa ain't too pleased wit de way we been actin in South Carolina.


 

On to Hillary

For the last 18 years I've heard people spew awful statements about Hillary Clinton, and I never quite understood why. She seemed to be a strong and driven woman of her own regard, and I very much respected the fact that during a time when she should've been publically humiliated, she stood solid and continued to support her husband. I wrote off the comments as patriarchal men afraid of a powerful, driven woman. However, over the past month my opinion of her has completely changed.


 

Vowing for the Democratic nomination for President, Hillary has repeatedly touted that she could spearhead bi-partisan leadership as President. However, my question to her would be, how in the hell can you work on bi-partisan projects and do what's best for the country when you can't even put what's best for your party over what is in your best personal interest.


 

Over the past week, numerous higher ups in the Democratic party (i.e. Ted Kennedy, Howard Dean, etc.) have called the Clinton campaign and told them to shut up with their racial rhetoric and negative campaigning because it's bad for the party. Many undecided voters and Obama supporters have vowed not to vote for Hillary even if she were to win the Democratic nomination because of all of the awful campaign tactics her camp has used in the past 3 weeks. However, her clique has continued. And with absolutely no cross over or independent appeal, she needs every democratic vote she can get if she plans on winning in November.


 

At the end of the day, how can America really trust Billary to do what's best for the country when they can't even put what's best for their party over their personal interest? How can the African-American community trust and/or vote for the Clintons after hearing the overwhelmingly belittling statements they've made over the past 2-3 weeks?


 

I watched Ted Kennedy plead for democrats to support who ever the nominee is come November. I heard him, but I shole the hell wasn't listening. Come November, if Hillary is the nominee (which she won't be), I refuse to vote for her. Bloomberg, Edwards, McCain, and Huckabee all will get my vote before she does. Hell if she ran for head trash dumper of Dekalb County Georgia, she wouldn't get my vote. I'm done.


 

Like Al Sharpton said (I never thought I would agree with him) I don't Uncle Tom for anyone, and as much of a Blue Blood Democrat as I am, I refuse to EVER vote for someone who doesn't have my best interest at heart. I will never sacrifice my community and my people for my party, and I pray the Democratic National Committee is taking note.


 

I don't play racial politics at all (I refuse to even bring up race unless it is absolutely necessary), but I refuse to be played as well. I refuse to have the Clintons (because they are running together) disrespect me, my community, and my history just because we're not blindly jumping on the Clinton bandwagon. I've never been this disgusted in my life—even by those who play Karl Rovian politics. At least you expect it to come from Rove and his clan. I guess momma was right when she said everything that glitters ain't gold. After 18 years of glitter, the Clintons have proven to be nothing more than fool's gold—and we all know who the fools in the equation are.


 

Shouts Out to John for the inspiration and the title ("Bill Clinton done lost his ghetto pass") and Adrianna for being the Republican to silence me, lol. I love my friends. They are such nerds, in a good way.


 

2 comments:

The AKA with a PhD said...

I am sitting here after reading this comment...amazed. I have followed the political goings on fairly closely however, I somehow managed to miss the statements made by our past president while campaigning for his wife. Amazingly enough, I am without words. (I know plenty of my Family, Friends and Sorors who would revel in that fact alone!)

In absorbing the blog I just read, I am trying to determine if I am appaled at the fact that he said those things so calliously or that, in my opinion, it couldn't have possibly gotten the press that it would have had Obama made such a racist remark. I suppose, I, like the author of this blog, amd hurt in a manner of speaking as I too had more love and respect for Mr. Clinton during his presidency than I had ever had for a President during the course of my humble existance. But, I suppose that there really is no cause to be hurt...it only says that Bill is a much better actor than many of us would have ever presumed him to be. He had us fooled. Many of us genuinely thought that we mattered to him...but now...the truth is out. We matter as long as we were WITH him. I also have to admit that I am VERY much insulted at the fact that he, or ANYONE would be of the opinion that any candidate can not win someplace simply because of the race of the voting populous in any place. Yes, Obama is black, so??? Does that means that he warrants my vote b/c he and I have a similar skin color?! NO! I think that we should be offended by that for more reasons than may immediately jump out...like....the statement implies that the african american voters are SO shallow as to be voting for ANY candidate simply b/c they are black, and that we do not have the simple rationale to look at the candidates and the issues and vote for who REALLY is the BEST candidate, not the blackest! Now, will I say that there are those of us voting for Obama on that principle alone, sure there are....BUT are there whites who are voting for whichever candidate is available because they hate the idea of a black man getting in office? Of course there are....so how are they any better?

I could go on and on with this, but I won't take up all the possible commenting space available on your blog.

Thank you for allowing me to speak my mind!

Anonymous said...

nice one, i just made lots of some other new emo backgrounds 2 my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info